[Originally written and posted in the wp.com Support Forum 5/12/2008 (the day WP 2.7 was implemented). Re-posted here with some minor changes, also updated to include modifications subsequently introduced.]
Top level navigation used to be Write ( → new post, page, etc.), Manage ( → existing posts, pages, etc.), and so on. Now the concept is reversed: Posts ( → add new one or edit existing ones), Pages ( → add new one or edit existing ones), and so on. Therefore:
|Write → Post||Posts → Add New|
|•||Write → Page||are now||Pages → Add New|
|Write → Link||Links → Add New|
|Manage → Posts||Posts → Edit|
|•||Manage → Pages||are now||Pages → Edit|
|Manage → Links||Links → Edit|
• Manage → Media Library is now Media → Library. The Media section now includes Add New (uploading directly to the library, not via the post or page editor).
• Managing as well as adding categories and tags is in the Posts section.
• Managing as well as adding link categories is in the Links section.
(Note: clicking on a section title in the dashboard sidebar is the same as clicking on the first item of the section.)
• Design is now Appearance.
• Custom Header (or other related theme options) is now under Appearance (when applicable).
• The Tools section includes Turbo, Press This, Import and Export. Later addition: Turbo and Press This top right as well (under Turbo).
• The blog name (top left) works as the former Visit site tab. Later addition (after complaints): pointer to make this explicit.
• The Forum and Support links are under Help (top right). Later addition (after complaints): bottom left as well.
• Up left in the Admin bar there is a New Post shortcut. A similar shortcut to the right includes creating new page and uploading media as well as access to comments and drafts.
• You can select items to be displayed or not (called modules), by clicking the Screen Options tab (top right).
Screen options are specific to a particular screen: there are separate options for the main dashboard screen, the post, page and link editors, the lists of posts, pages, categories, tags, links, link categories and comments, the media library, and the authors & users screen.
Later addition: screen options now also include
– number of module columns (for the main dashboard screen as well as the post, page, and link editors);
– number of entries per page (for the lists of posts, pages, and comments as well as the media library).
• Main dashboard screen: the modules can be dragged and rearranged, both vertically and horizontally.
• Main dashboard screen: you can make any section of the navigation menu (left sidebar) collapse or expand, by clicking on the arrow in its title bar.
• Main dashboard screen: you can minimize the whole navigation menu to a column of icons only, by clicking on the arrows of the grey separator lines.
• Post editor and page editor: all modules except the title bar and the main editor window can be dragged and rearranged; you can change their order, also move any or all of them below the editor window.
• Post editor and page editor: you can make any module collapse or expand, by clicking on its title bar.