Monotone is a very unusual theme, designed to be primarily used as a photo album, with one image in each post.
• Image showcased above post title, rest of post content (if any) below title.
• Images inserted in full size – resizing options/tools don’t work.
• One post per page (with previous/next navigation arrows).
• Each page in a different size and color (automatically adapting to each photo).
• Only two default static pages displayed (Archive and About). [**]
• The Archives (by month or by category) only show a thumbnail for each post (no title, no nothing). If you have a post without a picture, you only get a useless grey bar.
No sidebar or bottombar for adding widgets. [**]
Because of these limitations, there can be misunderstandings re what is really possible with this theme.
1. It is sometimes claimed that you cannot add static pages. That’s not correct: you can very well create new pages – you just don’t get tabs for them next to the built-in ones (that’s what would happen in any other theme with header page tabs). So you can create a page to be used as a static front, and another one to be used as your posts page (these two usually go together – see here); then you can create other pages, get their URL and write links to them in the static front page (including a link to the posts page).
2. The static front can also be used for adding items that would normally require widgets, for instance links to other blogs or sites.
3. It is often claimed that you cannot have more than one photos in a post. That’s only true when you upload and insert independent images: you can very well have more than one images in a post if you upload and insert them as a gallery. You can even have an independent image and a gallery: [*]
(The above is just a quick test: all the images could have been large-size ones.)
4. Sometimes it’s also claimed that you cannot have videos. That’s not correct either:
[*] Note: for the most comprehensive info on galleries, see this excellent post by our fellow forum volunteer justjennifer.
[**] Update Dec. 2009: A new version of Monotone, called Dutotone, was just made available. Static pages displayed normally, rudimentary bottombar included (three columns, one widget each), plus you can set the outer background color. In all other respects identical to Monotone.
[**] Update Nov. 2011: Monotone now supports the same rudimentary bottombar.